Hello Beautiful Soul!
This past weekend I gifted myself with a most exquisite experience. I participated in a sacred silence retreat which included yoga, meditation, walking meditation, journaling, and a beautifully prepared plant-based menu with fresh produce harvested from the garden in which we gathered.
We convened outdoors in the beautiful South Florida weather, blessed with sun-showers, butterflies, birds, bees, and rainbows.
We practiced mindful eating in silence, placing our utensils back on the plate after each bite in order to fully savor and appreciate all of the flavors and textures. I’ve never eaten an entire meal with that type of mindful awareness and slow pace. It felt amazing.
I’m not exaggerating when I say it took me at least 25 minutes to eat a small salad. It was the best salad I’ve ever had.
This opportunity to tune into the 5 senses and appreciate things at a different level was just what I needed. My nervous system has been frazzled these past few weeks. Attuning to the sensory system is the best and most effective way to be fully in the present moment.
I realized and remembered so many things during this half-day of self care:
1. I rush through most of my meals, missing out on opportunities to appreciate tastes, aromas, and textures, and neglecting my body’s signals telling me when I’m full.
2. I enjoy listening to others chew and enjoy their food (weird, right?).
3. It’s been too long since I dedicated a chunk of time just for me.
4. Gathering in sacred circles with women always elevates my spirit.
5. I love silent meals, even (especially?) in the presence of others.
With all of the demands we face in our everyday lives, cultivating space for ourselves can be a challenge. Taking time away from our phones can allow us to engage in a deeper state of awareness and presence.
What I know for sure is that I am better able to be fully present for my clients and family because I took this time for myself.
Wishing you a week full of mindfulness and presence.
Ready to schedule a private session?